"The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."
~ Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms



"Our lives disconnect and reconnect, we move on, and later we may touch one another, again bounce away. This is the felt shape of a human life, neither simply linear nor wholly disjunctive nor endlessly bifurcating, but rather this bouncey sequence of bumping into's and tumblings apart."
~ Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet



Saturday, October 30, 2010

Anne Lamott - Some Thoughts...



“I have survived so much loss, as all of us have by our forties – my parents, dear friends, my pets. Rubble is the ground on which our deepest friendships are built. If you haven’t already, you will lose someone you can’t live without, and your heart will be badly broken, and you never completely get over the loss of a deeply beloved person. But this is good news. The person lives forever, in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up. And you come through, and you learn to dance with the banged –up heart. You dance to the absurdities of life; you dance the minuet of old friendships.

I danced alone for a couple of years, and came to believe that I might not ever have a passionate romantic relationship – might end up alone! I’d always been terrified of this. But I’d rather not ever be in a couple, or ever get laid again, than be in a toxic relationship. I spent a few years celibate. It was lovely, and it was sometimes lonely. I had surrendered; I’d run out of bullets. I learned to be the person I wished I’d met, at which point I found a kind, artistic, handsome man. We get out of bed, we hold our lower backs, like Walter Brennan, and we laugh, and bring each other the Advil.”


~ Anne Lamott, Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment