"The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."
~ Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms



"Our lives disconnect and reconnect, we move on, and later we may touch one another, again bounce away. This is the felt shape of a human life, neither simply linear nor wholly disjunctive nor endlessly bifurcating, but rather this bouncey sequence of bumping into's and tumblings apart."
~ Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet



Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Trinity and The Trinity...Some Thoughts...Inspired By A Muse...Erato…



"Thank you for loving me
For being my eyes
When I couldn't see
For parting my lips
When I couldn't breathe
Thank you for loving me

You pick me up when I fall down
You ring the bell before they count me out
If I was drowning you would part the sea
And risk your own life to rescue me..."

-Jon Bon Jovi


The bible is a love story! Plain and simple it is about love and passion and affection. Brennan Manning wrote, “To open yourself to another person, to stop lying about your loneliness and your fears, to be honest about your affections, and to tell others how much they mean to you – this openness is the triumph of the child over the Pharisee and a sign of the dynamic presence of the Holy Spirit….To ignore, repress, or dismiss our feelings is to fail to listen to the stirrings of the Spirit within our emotional life. Jesus listened.”

Look at this from the Song of Songs, “I slept but my heart was awake. Listen! My beloved is knocking: "Open to me, my sister, my darling, my dove, my flawless one. My head is drenched with dew, my hair with the dampness of the night" (Song of Songs 5:2).

This is why the love between Trinity and Neo is so appealing and why the music and lyrics of Bon Jovi move our hearts to think of those we love or have loved or want to love. It is how we are hard wired, how our hearts move if we allow them to, if we are free and unafraid. The story of Trinity and Neo is the story of each of us and The Trinity; we are the beloved, the pursued, the ones who above all else desire the intimacy and closeness that only the Trinity can fulfill. We have glimpses of it in our lives when we love and we are loved. When we are not limited by fear or constrained in our freedom to speak the truth to those most dear and cherished in our lives. Yet, we are stalked by the Agents just as Neo and Trinity are: our past, our failures, our successes, our pain, our suffering, our fear, our anxiety, the voices that condemn, haunt, shame us and come to us to “…kill, steal and destroy…” what our hearts are to be, abundantly alive.

This is where I believe the love of The Trinity and the love of others in our lives unite and is what enables us to move when we feel as though we are dying. If not for someone that comes along and manifests love to us, just as Trinity does for Neo we will never believe in what we are, we will fear without a hand to touch us in the darkness, to hear a voice whisper, “I love you…your very special…nothing you do or say will push me away from you…” and it is in these rare but profound moments of being truly human do we know what the love of The Trinity is. In these moments we are kissed back to life by The Trinity and our hearts swell with what it means to be truly desired and loved. This is precisely what Jesus experienced when baptized by John, the pivotal union of human and divine love and complete affirmation of the worth of Jesus and each of us. John loved Jesus and Jesus is vulnerable and free to be baptized by him and at that moment he hears, “You are my son, whom I love, in whom I am well pleased” The same words we hear when we experience love and the same thing Mary Magdelaine experienced at the feet of Jesus wet with her tears and at the foot of the cross wet with the blood of Jesus and at the empty tomb on a desolate Sunday morning wet with the freshness of new life.

Maybe the Beatles were right, “…love is all we need…” – we are too frightened by it so we flee rather than opening our arms to embrace it. To love well is to risk a lot, if not everything. To open our hearts is a dangerous thing, we have been hurt to many times and our hearts fear the hurt again. To risk is to love and to love is to risk or as Dickens put it, “…to love and lost is better than to have never loved at all…” – we all have to decide this on our own, in the dark night of our souls. We have to be broken before the light can shine through our cracks. "Thank-you for loving me..."

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,
    the above essay is excellent, is this for
    your class at Bethel....love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something I read recently.....
    "Love always brings complications. The devine ecstasy of loving cannot be separated from pain that is its inevitable counterpart."

    Also......
    By the sunshine of God's love,
    He paints on our clouds the
    rainbow of His grace.

    ReplyDelete