"The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."
~ Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms



"Our lives disconnect and reconnect, we move on, and later we may touch one another, again bounce away. This is the felt shape of a human life, neither simply linear nor wholly disjunctive nor endlessly bifurcating, but rather this bouncey sequence of bumping into's and tumblings apart."
~ Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet



Monday, September 6, 2010

More Thoughts on Jesus and Life…Celebrating Manifests the Kingdom of God!


I must and we all must be who God created us to be…as the theologian from New Jersey sings, “It ain’t no sin to be glad you’re alive.” To be human, fully human as Jesus was when he walked on the same ground as we do is to be fully alive, to be experiencing life and life abundantly (John 10:10). Saint Irenaeus wrote, “The glory of God is man (woman) fully alive” – we were created not merely to exist but to be what God created us to be, in all the fullness of our humanity.

GOD is gracious--it is he who makes things right, our most compassionate God. GOD takes the side of the helpless; when I was at the end of my rope, he saved me. I said to myself, "Relax and rest. GOD has showered you with blessings.

Soul, you've been rescued from death; eye, you've been rescued from tears; and you, foot, were kept from stumbling." I'm striding in the presence of GOD, alive in the land of the living! I stayed faithful, though bedeviled, and despite a ton of bad luck, despite giving up on the human race, saying, "They're all liars and cheats."

What can I give back to GOD for the blessings he's poured out on me? I'll lift high the cup of salvation--a toast to GOD!
I'll pray in the name of GOD; I'll complete what I promised GOD I'd do, and I'll do it together with his people.
(Psalm 116:5-14 The Message)


Dr. Gregory Boyd commented on the lifestyle of Jesus in this way, “Have you ever wondered why Jesus took a couple days out of his short ministry to attend a wedding feast and then waste a miracle changing water into wine for a bunch of people who had already had a lot to drink, when there were undoubtedly crippled children all around Palestine who could have used that miracle? Have you ever wondered why Jesus often took time out to go to parties (with prostitutes and tax collectors no less!)? Have you ever wondered why Jesus rebuked the disciple who complained that a woman was wasting expensive ointment by pouring it onto Jesus’ feet, when, as a matter of fact, the complaining disciple was right in claiming it could have been sold and the proceeds given to the poor (it’s estimated that the ointment was worth up to a year’s salary)?”

Dr Boyd concludes his thoughts, “Everything Jesus did — including his celebrating — manifests the Kingdom. What Jesus’ superfluous miracle, frequent partying and acceptance of expensive worship reveal is that life under the reign of God isn’t just about ministry and work: it includes celebrating. Yes we’re to live self-sacrificial, radically generous lives. But life as God intended it includes celebrating weddings, drinking wine, going to parties and engaging in extravagant worship. These aren’t “breaks” from Kingdom living: they’re important aspects of Kingdom living!

-taken from http://www.gregboyd.org/uncategorized/dont-be-a-scrooge/

“What can I give back to GOD for the blessings he's poured out on me? I'll lift high the cup of salvation--a toast to GOD!”

No comments:

Post a Comment