"The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."
~ Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms



"Our lives disconnect and reconnect, we move on, and later we may touch one another, again bounce away. This is the felt shape of a human life, neither simply linear nor wholly disjunctive nor endlessly bifurcating, but rather this bouncey sequence of bumping into's and tumblings apart."
~ Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet



Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Rivers



You could have grown old with me,

Watched our children grow up together and then,

Watched our grandchildren play.



You could have drank coffee with me,

While we sat together in the morning,
On the steps while the day was still new.


You could have walked along the Thames with me,

Looked at art in the National Gallery,
Drank and laughed on the streets of Soho.  


You could have walked along the Swan with me,

Spent a morning in Freo sipping flat whites on Cappuccino Alley,
Then a lazy afternoon on the beach while The Doctor caressed our skin and the ocean filled our senses.


You could have walked along the Seine with me,

The Louvre filled with its masterpieces could have been ours for an afternoon,
Then red wine and cheese on a crowded Parisian street while the day turned to night.



You could have walked along the Liffey with me,
Strolled through Stevens Green hand in hand on a rainy afternoon,

Than drank a pint together in an ancient warm Pub.


You could have,
We could have,

But you did not believe in me,

Your desire went in a different direction.

And your choice broke my heart and killed a part of my soul.
So bitter is betrayal,

So agonizing is the loss.

I reeled and faltered for awhile,
Was lost and alone,

Vertigo and confusion tossed and whirled me about.
And then…


I walked along the Thames,

Looked at art in the National Gallery,

And drank and laughed on the streets of Soho.


I walked along the Swan,

Spent a morning in Freo sipping flat whites on Cappuccino Alley,
Then a lazy afternoon on the beach while The Doctor caressed my body and the ocean filled my senses.


I walked along the Seine,

The Louvre filled with its masterpieces was mine for an afternoon,
Then red wine and cheese on a crowded Parisian street while the day turned to night.


I walked along the Liffey,

Strolled through Stevens Green on a rainy afternoon,

Than drank a pint in an ancient warm Pub.


Now I will walk along the Tiber,

I will be renewed with all that is Rome,

Tuscany will breathe newness into me.


There will be wine and freshness,

Warm Mediterranean breezes,
And I will walk with a new lover and friend.

1 comment:

  1. Chris, what a beautiful poem so from the heart.
    A quote I just read last night.....
    "When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expression, then we truly live life."
    Wishing you a wonderful journey.

    ReplyDelete