"The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."
~ Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms



"Our lives disconnect and reconnect, we move on, and later we may touch one another, again bounce away. This is the felt shape of a human life, neither simply linear nor wholly disjunctive nor endlessly bifurcating, but rather this bouncey sequence of bumping into's and tumblings apart."
~ Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet



Friday, January 22, 2010

Magical People and Sci-Fi Theology...

"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thru' narrow chinks of his cavern."
- William Blake

Again it is late. Not sleeping and not wanting morning to come if I was sleeping because I don’t know what to do when morning arrives. Apprehensive, ambivalent, anxious - hmm….today did not go as I had thought it would and I am not sure why. Perhaps lowering my expectations would help or extinguishing expectations all together? There is something magical in talking to some people even if they may not think so, not sure how to define what that magic is but its there nonetheless. Magical, alive, or back to Hemingway’s phrase maybe the magic is in their being, “…as good as spring itself…” for to be that is, in its own way magical and beautiful. I am looking at a list of things to do that is in front of me and the two things that I most want to do on it are the two that may not happen – out of my own fear or my heart being faint, not sure which. If anyone is reading this I must seem awfully cryptic but this ruminating might only be a self indulgence to bring some clarity at least for a momentary fragment of time.

Another theme on my mind is sci-fi theology, a new category of theological thought coined by a soon to be eminent theologian who is currently working a book. It is sure to be an enlightening read – if tomorrow unfolds as the possibilities of an open future holds as reality, which is part of the sci-fi theological presuppositions - it is entirely possible if not probable that I will receive an e-mail from this theologian/author to inform further about thoughts on this fascinating topic that I hope to incorporate into a paper I will be working on over the next couple of weeks while on a journey through the past. I will be eagerly awaiting this response and it will make for a good day.

Hmm… hopefully I will be able to sleep now. Magical people and sci-fi theology – two interesting things to have on your mind as you drift off to sleep. Will see what the morning brings…maybe there will be grace in the cup of coffee and an e-mail?

No comments:

Post a Comment