"The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."
~ Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms



"Our lives disconnect and reconnect, we move on, and later we may touch one another, again bounce away. This is the felt shape of a human life, neither simply linear nor wholly disjunctive nor endlessly bifurcating, but rather this bouncey sequence of bumping into's and tumblings apart."
~ Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet



Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Morning...




Each morning when I wake and before I get out of bed and go in search for that first cup of grace I lay there and think for a few moments about life – where the day before and the night just past have brought me to and from and where if I am honest, if only for a fleeting moment it is I’d like this new day to go. It is invariable at these moment that this thought returns to my conciousness, “… this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” This has been in a way my first prayer each morning for a long time now, it encapsulates remembering, accepting, and anticipation of all the possibilities that a new dawn brings – we are in a beautiful way new each morning! The sun rises, God smiles on us with compassion and as sure as both of these things are, we are reminded of the Father’s faithfulness.

Anne Lamott has said that there are really only two prayers, “…help me, help me, help me, and thank – you, thank – you, thank – you…” and Bono when asked what his two favorite songs are responded, “Help Me Make It Through the Night” and “Amazing Grace” – these comments are all inside the passage from Lamentations above. To make it through a long night while repeating “help me” and to know amazing grace and respond with repeated “thank – you’s” are what make us new each morning before we get out of bed and continue on our journey. Yet, perhaps the journey really doesn’t pause while we are sleeping but sleep is as much a part of the journey as the hours we are awake?


Note: not sure why the videos are not working but I think it is only a temporary thing from what I understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment