"The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."
~ Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms



"Our lives disconnect and reconnect, we move on, and later we may touch one another, again bounce away. This is the felt shape of a human life, neither simply linear nor wholly disjunctive nor endlessly bifurcating, but rather this bouncey sequence of bumping into's and tumblings apart."
~ Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet



Friday, March 2, 2012

Empty - "...exquisite fragility..."

“All those nights I laid with my eyes closed
But not sleeping at all
Those nights
I thought I knew which way the wind blows
But now it's blowing me back to you
And the wind speaks French too…”
~R. Cash

 (Rosanne Cash, Sleeping In Paris)


I feel scared today. Different from how I felt before - scared of the future, scared of moving forward. Simply scared and alone - a dissonance, emptiness, separation and this scares me. I don’t like being alone – it is the “exquisite fragility” William Styron wrote of that has become acute. So...



I am empty
Sometimes there is nothing at all
I sit and stare at a blank page
I am the blank page
All the inspiration is gone and I am empty
The words are somewhere lost

I feel abandoned by the muse
 And God
Languishing and anxious the day creeps into night
My mind is a foggy haze
Every noise and movement a distraction
Away from everything I try to do
The cure to this eludes me



So I sit
And sit
 And stare out a window
Nothing comes so I sigh and relinquish my motivation
Maybe time will advance and the fog will lift
A wave of sadness rolls over me out of nowhere
The rogue waves of emotions that have no warning
Batter and bounce my body and I lose equilibrium

I falter and fall
To the ground
Unable to move from the floor
My chest is heavy and tight and each breath is an effort
Pain aches in both my body and soul now



Wave upon wave of dislocation and desperation
I am empty


 
(Bruce Springsteen, Downbound Train)



**paintings are by Mark Rothko

1 comment:

  1. Though our battles are real, God is working out something good. It is not that 'things work for good' as some translations have put it, but that 'in all things God works for good.'(Rom.8:28)It is not 'things' that are good (they may in fact be evil), but in them God works out purposes that are good. For that we can trust Him. We can thank God that He is active in the middle of our worst days.
    I believe faith is only as valid as the object in which it is placed. We must cry out to God for His intervention,apart from Him we can do nothing. John15:5

    ReplyDelete