"The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."
~ Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms



"Our lives disconnect and reconnect, we move on, and later we may touch one another, again bounce away. This is the felt shape of a human life, neither simply linear nor wholly disjunctive nor endlessly bifurcating, but rather this bouncey sequence of bumping into's and tumblings apart."
~ Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet



Monday, March 19, 2012

The Train From Gatwick...

 I boarded the train from Gatwick to London Victoria Station this morning and across from me sat a beautiful woman combing her hair, preparing herself for the day. She put on makeup, then meticulously her lipstick, all the while taking phone calls and receiving texts. In her eyes I could see she was anticipating something or someone and those thoughts occasionally made her smile betraying her obliviousness to her surroundings.

As I glanced at her, words that Hemingway wrote a long time ago came to mind, “A girl came in the café and sat by herself at a table near the window. She was very pretty with her face fresh as a newly minted coin if they minted coins in smooth flesh with rain-freshened skin, and her hair black as a crow’s wing and cut sharply and diagonally across her cheek. I looked at her and she disturbed me and made me very excited. I wished I could put her in the story, or anywhere, but she had placed herself so she could watch the street and the entry and I knew she was waiting for someone. So I went on writing.” 





I went on writing as well, the train speeding to Victoria Station, the sun rising, the world waking and my anonymous friend and I traveling in time and space sharing brief fleeting moments of evaporating proximity.

No comments:

Post a Comment