"The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."
~ Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms



"Our lives disconnect and reconnect, we move on, and later we may touch one another, again bounce away. This is the felt shape of a human life, neither simply linear nor wholly disjunctive nor endlessly bifurcating, but rather this bouncey sequence of bumping into's and tumblings apart."
~ Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet



Friday, September 14, 2012

Black Worm...

 
“These things that have comforted me I drive away
This place that is my home I cannot stay
My only faith is in the broken bones and bruises I display
Have you ever seen a one-legged man trying to dance his way free?
If you've ever seen a one-legged man then you've seen me…”
~ Bruce Springsteen

 
(Music: Bruce Springsteen ~ The Wrestler)
 
 
 
At the place of the rock
I feel death (maybe I am dead)
Blowing with the wind over the water
The black worm has been burrowing into me
While I sit and stare into the horizon of defeat
Deep it is now
As deep as I have sunk within myself
Moving with me (maybe it is me)
It devours from the inside out
Years have past
I have tried to get it out (God have I tried)
With no avail
We are becoming one
The black worm and I
It will only depart with me now
Out this world together
As the poet has written, “…not with a bang but a whimper…”
To kill the ache
The noise in my head echoing the consumption of my organs
Not blood of lambs or prayers of the penitent
Will hinder the dark angel’s step over the threshold of my life
When
I and the black worm and the dark angel
Are one
Below the water and weight of the rock
 
 


3 comments:

  1. "I have to write right now, as a radical act of self-care for my self & soul. People stole so much of the week from me, incredible acts of vandalism against my life. So I am rising up & fighting back, here & now." Anne Lamott

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A pearl is a beautiful thing that is produced by an injured life. It is the tear (that results) from the injury of the oyster. The treasure of our being in this world is also produced by an injured life. If we had not been wounded, if we had not been injured, then we will not produce the pearl." Stephan Hoeller

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Satan tests us it is to destroy us. When God tests us it is to strengthen us and make us more mature. Trust Jesus to get rid of the black worm and the black angel, he has before in others. Keep trusting our Father in heaven even though our lives are filled with trauma. Count it joy when he tests you,because he will make you strong & mature.On the other side of the test will be a new knowledge of God and our Saviour Jesus. Unbelief will waver, trust will not waver,God will provide.

    ReplyDelete