"The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."
~ Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms



"Our lives disconnect and reconnect, we move on, and later we may touch one another, again bounce away. This is the felt shape of a human life, neither simply linear nor wholly disjunctive nor endlessly bifurcating, but rather this bouncey sequence of bumping into's and tumblings apart."
~ Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet



Monday, February 15, 2010

Divine Milieu...Brandi Carlile - Love Songs...



When I was in Two Harbors this morning Amber said she wanted to play this old Brandi Carlile song for me, so of course she did. Amber and I are always trading songs back and forth for each other to listen to and we both really like Brandi Carlile(we have seen her three time in the last year and half). Well when I heard this song I just loved it and Amber played it a few times and I liked it more and more each time.

There is something about Brandi's music and lyrics that touches the soul...speaks to the human condition, the heart...illuminates the depth of both the pain and the joy in being alive. The line, "...thoughts of you could give me smile lines..." I think is simply poetic and beautiful. Her lyrics speak to the beauty in life, even in the struggles...when moments feel like, "...sheer undiluted slog..." - yet there is still art in the living of life and creativity out of the madness of it all...



I could never write a love song,
I could never write a blue song,
When I'm in love I am a lover,
But I have always had the blues.

I'm afraid that no one sees me,
What will they say when I'm gone,
It occurs to me I think I miss you,
I think I miss you all along.

Out of the corner of my eye,
I’m not sure if I should think these things of you,
Is it the wrong place at the wrong time?
I think it’s just my turn to loose,
Thoughts of you could give me smile lines,
I'll laugh myself to sleep because I knew,
We were talking about a fine line,
Depends on who you're talking to.

If it's any consolation,
The blues have always had me too,
And if I'll ever write a love song,
I think I'll write it about you…

No comments:

Post a Comment