"The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."
~ Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms



"Our lives disconnect and reconnect, we move on, and later we may touch one another, again bounce away. This is the felt shape of a human life, neither simply linear nor wholly disjunctive nor endlessly bifurcating, but rather this bouncey sequence of bumping into's and tumblings apart."
~ Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet



Friday, May 25, 2012

The Pill & The Chinese Jar...

“Words move, music moves
Only in time; but that which is only living
Can only die. Words, after speech, reach
Into the silence. Only by the form, the pattern,
Can words or music reach
The stillness, as a Chinese jar still
Moves perpetually in its stillness.”
~ T.S. Eliot


I took the pill today. The one I have not ingested for over a week now. The one that is suppose to make me better, okay, able to cope with my experiences day and night.

In the intervening week of abstinence from my friend Citalopram I have been dizzy, felt vertigo, my mind cloudy, lack of motivation, tasted despair, wept and wept, could barely get out of my bed each day.
When I woke up each morning I was as tired as when I fell asleep the night before.
I could feel again though, no longer numb to life. Really felt in way I do not feel while my friend swims in my blood stream, doing whatever it is she does to my neurotransmitters, altering of my biology so to inebriate my senses. I function but I do not feel, I cannot cry while she controls me.
So, I thought I would live without her for awhile, a jilted lover betrayed by her blinding of me to experience, a mist thick over my emotions, a flattening of my being.


It was as if the lid was removed from the Chinese Jar of my hermetically sealed existence, and I could breathe again, feel again, weep again, and laugh again…

Today though the top was placed back on the jar and I am again sealing myself inside where I move in stillness, apathetically apophatic. While she dances in my mind unleashing her mysterious breath that freezes and hinders my thoughts and feelings.






1 comment:

  1. I watched the video on depression the other night and now I understand so much more about depression. We want you know that we care about you and will help you, your life is very important to us. Love you very much, mom & dad.

    ReplyDelete