"The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."
~ Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms



"Our lives disconnect and reconnect, we move on, and later we may touch one another, again bounce away. This is the felt shape of a human life, neither simply linear nor wholly disjunctive nor endlessly bifurcating, but rather this bouncey sequence of bumping into's and tumblings apart."
~ Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet



Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Grace, Spring and Friends...



Last night I was at Chapel at Bethel University in St. Paul and Jane Spriggs was speaking, she was the professor I had for Spiritual Formation class. She spoke on Signs of Spring – A Lenten Chapel and I was very happy that I went as it was good to see and talk with Jane again and her speak about spring, Lent and grace. She used the following during her talk and I really liked it and it fits in perfectly with A Cup of Grace:

A Spiritual Sign of Spring – Grace

“A blizzard of grace is hovering over us, blanketing our transgressions and hiding the ugliness we’re so ashamed of. Maybe it is not so much winter as spring. Grace is pushing shoots up, buds are swelling, joy is trying hard to bloom,”
-Small Surrenders, Emilie Griffin

Thinking about spring and grace reminded me of some of my friends who have been grace to me which Jane defined as, “…God’s love in action…” and I believe that fits with my friends and family whether they realize it or not. Also, I am reminded again of what Hemingway wrote about, “….friends that were as good as spring itself…” and that is how good friends feel, like a beautiful spring day, fresh with hope and possibility.

I was thinking this: Yes, Jesus saves. He is complete, all sufficient, God and Savior. Yet, you can be saved by another person; a person that Jesus moved to come into your life so as to serve his purposes and to bring life, salvation and hope to you. So, it is that Jesus is still the one that saves but he uses people to help one another along the perilous journey we are all on. We are part of a fellowship, friends that hold onto and hold up each other through the challenges and battles we all encounter from time to time. We also then celebrate, dance and sing with each other in the joy filled happy times and make each other smile so when we die there will be smile lines on our faces, traces, reminders of those that touched our souls along the journey.

2 comments:

  1. " I loved the talk, the laughter, the sharing of the study of books...the companionship that was sometimes serious and sometimes hilariously nonsensical, the differences of opinion that left no more bad feeling than if a man were disagreeing with his own self, the rare disputes that simply seasoned the normal consensus of agreement. Augustine of Hippo

    I love what you posted about grace, spring and
    friends, love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a good chapel. I'm glad that you sense that your spring is coming. I'm still in the thick of winter, but I have hope that it will arrive someday.

    ReplyDelete