"The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."
~ Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms



"Our lives disconnect and reconnect, we move on, and later we may touch one another, again bounce away. This is the felt shape of a human life, neither simply linear nor wholly disjunctive nor endlessly bifurcating, but rather this bouncey sequence of bumping into's and tumblings apart."
~ Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet



Monday, August 13, 2012

Atheist ~ Non-Atheist ~ Atheish: A Third Way of Relationality…




T-Shirt Designed by David Hayward the Naked Pastor The Naked Pastor


The barrier to much of the dialogue when it comes to spirituality is a chronic fundamentalism inherent in both atheists and non-atheists – I hesitate to and did not use the word religion in the context of or against the construct of atheism as it is also a religion in the commonly used definition.
Popular atheism is not the atheism of Nietzsche or the existentialist phenomenologists but rather ambivalence to critical realism which stands both outside and between the stringent poles constructed by the post-enlightment   literalists and phenomenologists. The atheists and the non-atheists use the same methodology to argue and try to proof this or that. So, of course there is an impasse in communication where words no longer mean anything.

Subjective beings cannot know objectively. It is an epistemological impossibility but yet it is the fallacy held tightly to by both the fundamentalist atheist and non-atheists alike who build a structure of hubris on a foundational epistemology of straw.

In many regards this is a problem of modernity which post-modernity is and has been attempting to overcome. A post-modern incredulity to met-narrative most notable in response to Hegel is a symptom of the direction Derrida moved against when he postulated everything is a text. As subjective beings we are responsible to hermeneutically attend to the texts of life and hopefully find a way around or over both Descartes and Kant - the two figures which have crippled the modern mind and still do into a false dichotomy and dualism.

Taking a cue from Thomas Kung in his work on The Structure of Scientific Revolutions a paradigmatic shift in thinking is needed and neuroscience is leading the way and helpful in realizing what many poets and philosophers have long intimated intuitively and post-modernity is explicating – namely that humans are storied beings – we are epistemologically wired for story. Hermeneutics is vital in the coming to know reality interpretively beyond propositional claims. As such story can speak into life and about life.

As Martin Buber expressed, “…all actual life is encounter…” – we share a mutuality and commonality that can only authentically be shared relationally.



What does all this mean?


Well…

Cartoon By: David Hayward ~ The Naked Pastor The Naked Pastor




Rather than living in ambivalence and trapped in the post-enlightenment constructs why not bravely and courageously relinquish and demolish all foundational epistemology and consequently breathe the air outside of worn out arguments. As a third way or a new way of movement as critical realist engage in a peripatetic journeying amongst humanity to search for and share in truth and beauty – a relational commonality beyond constructs that divide and realize how much we share.









(John Lennon ~ Imagine)



This interview below from American Atheists is a great corollary to my thoughts:


A Conversation with David Hayward (aka Naked Pastor)
By Becky Garrison



After my buddy David Hayward (aka Naked Pastor) posted on his blog a T-shirt idea titled "Atheish," I decided to contact this Canuck via Skype for a chat about the genesis behind this logo and why so many atheists and freethinkers are becoming drawn to a website led by a former pastor.



Why did you draw the "Atheish" logo?




What I'm finding is happening is a polarizing of ideologies where people become militant in whatever their ideology is. The problem isn't necessarily belief versus unbelief but the fundamentalist mindset where someone believes the way they believe is right and everybody else is wrong. So my T-shirt "Atheish" is an attempt to modify or moderate the playing field where it's not necessarily atheists versus believers. It's fundamentalism that's the problem, not the content of the belief or ideology of the thinker. If we can all come into the conversation with a humble awareness that we really don't know and any assertions we do make tend to border on hypocrisy, I think we'd be far more open to having a genuine conversation.



When people ask me to define myself, on a good day I say I'm agnostic/apophatic Anglican. Given my late father was an Episcopal priest/professor; one could say I am a pre-natal Episcopalian. It's just a part of who I am.



If someone asks me if I'm a Christian, I say I'm a Christian in the same way I'm a Canadian. It's so much a part of my DNA that I can't reject it. I recognize that my roots are deep in the Christian tradition. My two degrees are in theology and I was a pastor for over 25 years. But I am not a Christian in a way that would suit most people's definition. But I'm comfortable with that.



We've had this conversation before about how we have more in common these days with spiritual atheists than evangelicals and emergents. Why do you think this is so in your case?



I think there are a lot of people out there who recognize that the problem is not belief. There's millions of gods and millions of religions. People are becoming more and more skeptical signing on to any certain belief system. They want to open the debate and have a genuine discussion. That means coming into the forum with a willingness to hold on to your beliefs, thoughts and ideologies loosely in order to be able to converse with other people. Maybe the best debate is when you allow doubt or mystery to be a greater component of your ideology or belief system.



I find myself getting very uncomfortable when people offer prayers on my behalf as I no longer have this childlike notion that Jesus watches over me personally or that God as my Father will take care of all my problems.



I struggle with the whole religious language because I've come to the conclusion that we use language to control our worlds and realities. When people ask me questions about who I am and what I believe, it's their attempt to comprehend and grasp me intellectually and then plug me into some kind of a hole that makes them feel comfortable.



As we both have proven, when you start talking like this, you find yourself off the author/speaker list and out of a job as a Christian minister or leader.



I watch my blog traffic every day so I'm very aware of who follows and unfollows me. This has very much to do with how you're labeled. If people don't recognize your label as something in line with their beliefs, then you're going to lose that reader. But I'm finding that more and more people who are signing on to the discussion are people who aren't willing to subscribe to any certain solidified belief system. I also need to submit the very real fact that we might be creating another label and it's sort of this nebulous fluid kind of ideology.



Even though I knew I had to leave the institutional church, this decision incurred some losses in terms of finances and friends.



While it was traumatic for me to leave, my family and the few friends that I have left say that I am much happier and easy going than I have been in a long, long time. I just feel like a free agent and I'm really happy about that.



In a piece I did reflecting on Kelly Carlin's show "A Carlin Home Companion" for the forthcoming issue of American Atheist Magazine, I talk about "nones," meaning those who don't come from a religious tradition but they still have a rich spiritual life. They may still participate in rituals, say light a candle for a deceased family member or participate in the mysteries of the Eucharist because they feel drawn to the community formed around the table. But they would never consider themselves to be "Christian."



My views on this have changed a great deal. I don't go to church but if you find a church or a community where you can follow your own spiritual path with integrity without sacrificing your conscience or intellect: go for it. I have a lot of affinity with atheists because in many ways I believe I'm an atheist in Christian clothes. Many of my cartoons have been shared on atheist blogs.



One of my cartoons shows an atheist and a believer standing on two different sides of an iceberg that emerges out of the water. On the surface, it looks like they're on two different islands. But deep, deep down, I think there's a unifying connection that joins us, but most of us are unaware of it and don't detect it. For example, I find it very difficult to converse with fundamentalist Christians, but I have to believe that somewhere deep down beyond my detection is a unity that binds us together. I admit there's s challenge to make these deep connections given the loud and rambunctious arguments one finds at the surface.




Finally, anything you might want to say about your relationship with Asbo Jesus, a British based cartoonist?



We're very much on the same page in that we both poke fun at the status quo of Christianity and the Church in particular while trying to open up a space for dialogue and debate. Our mutual goals are to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.







1 comment: