"The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."
~ Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms



"Our lives disconnect and reconnect, we move on, and later we may touch one another, again bounce away. This is the felt shape of a human life, neither simply linear nor wholly disjunctive nor endlessly bifurcating, but rather this bouncey sequence of bumping into's and tumblings apart."
~ Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet



Sunday, August 26, 2012

New Songs...

 
Spent some time chasing the past
Like going up and down the aisles at the grocery store
Looking for something to last
 
Walking backwards with a broken heart
Thinking
Will someone smile at me?
 
Felt I died
Became a ghost
Everything and everyone slipping through me
 
The more I walked less I cared
The ache it grew
Empty like the shelves in the store I once knew
 
How strange it all seemed
To those watching the scene
A crying man at the produce stand
 
From time to time
Distracting myself
While the band played on
 
 Her memory still
Wedged within my ear
Somewhere along aisle #4
 
 Stifled epitaphs
Cosmic cul-de-sacs
Where families play house
 
 
Trapped within a state of gifted circumstance?
 
 
A happy accident
A way to cue
In the checkout line
 
Devoid of items
To express I went
Waltzed right through
 
She had gone
Turning around she smiled
I don’t push buttons here no more
 
 Despondent and deaf
The band had paused forgetting the song
Shelves unstocked
 
 
 My heart ticked like a worn out clock
 
 
Home I strayed
Alone I played
In the sandbox of doubt and excrement
 
 
 Waiting for a hand to reach through the glare of fear
 
Lights went dim the store it closed
In a suspended moment
In neither crib or tomb
 
 On the curb of life
With my thumb out in the wind
Waiting for a passerby to sanctify
 
 My dreams again
To take my soul
On a forgotten road
 
To an empty bed
Draped in crinoline and morning dew
Where…She waits
 
 With poetic eyes
And lyrical lips
Not bought in stores
 
 She sings new songs
The band remembered the tune
We dance
 
 The garden heals
 Candles flickering glow enchanting the night
With hyssop and myrrh
 
 I forget the past
With the wind
It is gone
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment